Monday, July 17, 2006

"Why is it taking so long.."

Surgery of any type is a worrying situation. Surgery to see what exactly is inside your abdomen and then to determine if a tumour in an ovary is malignant or not is simply edge-of-the-seat stuff. And I was only the guy sitting outside the OT, waiting for the gynae's results and for Nellie to be rolled out.. safely.

It was supposed to be over within 3hours..
"So why is it taking so long..?", asked Nellie's mum, with increasingly worrying lines on her face. 4 hours passed. In the 5th hour, the gynae surgeon came out and gave the news..

"The tumour is malignant. We had to be doubly sure that we got out as much as we could. We took the womb out too."

I swallowed, but my throat was dry.

"I was feeling drowsy and could hear voices of the family around me..... My mum came over and asked if I was feeling fine. I said yes and went back to sleep.

It was not until the next morning that I was fully conscious and was waiting for the gynae to come over and tell me what had been done to me. My hubby came early in the morning and I could see from his face that things does not look right for me. I asked him if I was ok and he came over.. gave me a big hug and started tearing. I knew from that point that the cancer had hit me! The sadness and disappointment in his face made me realised that I was in a very major battle to fight from now on.......

The battle that I have to fight was confirmed by the doc who came over to see me around 10am. She said I have to be strong, stay positive and fight it! As devastated as I was feeling then, I told myself that I will have to fight this."

The doc showed us the picture of the ovary.. a massive size of a tennis ball! (see picture in next blog-entry). It was a disgusting sight, made all the more gory by the streaks of blood around it.

How can this be? Just 3 weeks ago we were strolling in the cool mountain air of Cameron Highlands. In fact, just 5 months ago, she had a full medical healthscreening and apart from a few innocuous comments, she was given the all clear. Everything still seemed so totally surreal..

>>gleefully ntangle

No comments: