Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Hair Today, Hair Tomorrow : a lady's crown

I still remember that one of the very first questions I asked my oncologist when he first laid out the "chemo-buffet" on all the side-effects that I should expect over the 5-6 month period, was .. "Doc, how will my hair look after the chemo, in say, 2 to 3 months time after the last treatment?"

I could see my hubby looking back at me instantly, as if in total wonder that such a question had even come into my mind when my very life was on the brink. I suppose expecting a man to understand what a woman's crown really means to her would be too much of a stretch. In truth, as he walked side by side through the first 5 months with me, I can sense that he began to understand what it means to me .. a little, perhaps.

So, given that my hair took such a huge chunk of my attention, from the start of chemo till this day, I thought it would be interesting for you ladies out there to have a glimpse of the hair-evolution I had to go through, pictorially. Here's 4 pictures I can share:

(Pic 1 : my long hair, before chemo)
Here's my silky long hair.. a real "Before" shot of what was crowning my head for a good 20 years. Aahh, the good ole days..




(Pic 2: my crew cut)
My hubby insisted that I should have this photo taken. I have never seen myself in this crew-cut short hair before, so it was a bit of a shock to the system. My hairdresser was excellent in snipping my hair to a level that I wanted. By now, the hair had begun to fall, and I didnt want the long hair to be dropping all over our home. Also, it helped in adjusting my own view of me before the next phase hits me, ie totally bald.

(Pic 3 : My wig)
Me and my wig, which became my constant companion for a good 5 months. The wig was made of natural hair, which I discovered was more comfortable than the artificial hair. Sometimes the heat generated under the wig can be rather unbeareable, which led to curious stares from the public whenever I took it out for some much needed airing in the car.. who cares what other people might think!

(Pic #4 : now)
And so, this is the answer to the original question above.. my hair 3 months after my last chemo. It's soft and it's curly.. my mum's description says it best : "like a young kitten's".
I certainly did not expect it to be this soft. I decided to give it a coppertone colour.. and it felt and looked good then.. still do now!


(Pic #5 of Kylie's hair)
When Kylie was interviewed in June, she had this to say about her hair:
"When it first started to fall out, I just buzz cut the whole thing. I am used to having different looks and figured out the way to use my scarf. But when it started to grow back, it was so thrilling!"

Yes, I know how she felt and can share that same sense of thrill with her.



>>gleefully ntangle

No comments: