Thursday, September 24, 2009

"I Think You Have Escaped It.."

Yesterday, the first thing that Dr Ang Peng Tiam said to me, as I sat down in front of him..
"I think you have escaped it"

Huh?
Say what, Doc?

When we asked him what that actually meant in his medical lingo, he clarified:

I think you have escaped your cancer, Nellie. Based on my experience and the history of my patients, if there was to be a relapse, it would have happened already. You are passed 3 years since your last chemo/PET scan, right?

We nodded our heads, barely able to contain our joy inside!

Next to the best 5 words I have ever heard ("Your cancer is in remission"), these 6 words come pretty close on the joy-o-meter.

My hubby and I looked at each other for a few seconds, not being able to fully fathom the depth or meaning of Dr Ang's sweet 6 words.

And then it sank in, at home..
"I am an escapee!"
And this is where a girl skips and hops out of the hospital ..and into the hip-and-shining Ion Orchard, heart filled to the brim with joy, right?
Thank you, God. Thank you, Dad. Thank you, everyone who had helped me through this..

No comments: