Thursday, August 03, 2006

The book that changed our lives..


On the very day of her surgery, a rather inconspicuous article in the "Today" newspaper caught my attention, as I sat at the lounge waiting area of the hospital.

It was titled "One in 4 S'poreans will die of cancer", and carried on.." Driven by harsh figures, oncologist writes book for parents, families". The book was titled "Doctor, I Have Cancer. Can You Help Me?" And the oncologist? Dr Ang Peng Tiam.

Few things could ever compare the irony of the situation that I was in.. here I was at the very day of my wife's surgery that could potentially save her life, and there it was, an article on cancer in the papers saying one in four people will die of cancer. But reading into the article a bit more, it was billed as a book of hope. I made it a point to seek out the book as soon as I could. I showed it to Nellie and said to her that this book will bring something new to our fight against the cancer.

"I read the book within a day! Filled with pictures, it was easy to read and clearly showed how the most aggressive of cancers can be stopped from spreading further, if not fully cured. In my mind, I was half dreading what's to become of me in the months ahead, but also what I can do inside me to win this fight... literally, the fight of my life. The book put in all together for me, from what others have had to go through to what expectations I should carry with me, as I walk down this war path. I am going to try to be as positive as I can, and if mind over matter has anything to do with it, I will give it a very good try !!"

After reading it, we both decided immediately that Dr Ang will be her oncologist from here on.

Fate has a way of bringing together what looked like the most disconnected of things. What were the chances of me ending up reading that article on Dr Ang's cancer book? And on the very day of her surgery, no less. Looking back, one has to marvel at the ironically fortuitous circumstances of it all.. indeed, the book literally brought us both plenty of hope! And of course, Dr Ang himself.

No comments: